I always ask my students what they have learned from their experiences. I think it is a good idea to think about that for myself and this recent trip. Hopefully nothing too deep.
Listening
I learned that listening is much better than talking. I learned so much from my 31 students and 2 other leaders, especially "Dr." Cynthia. She has the most wonderful tips on teaching, life and the hiccups. I never would have learned so much from her if I was talking instead of listening. Also, listening to my students help me understand so much more about them and their world.
Teenagers are undervalued.
These 31 teenagers I met were incredible. They were always up for trying something new. Adults lose this ability, even though we think that we are up for anything. Why are teenagers so discounted in our society. They are thoughtful, funny, courageous and grateful. I think most of us could learn from hanging out with a teenager or two every now and then.
I picked the right profession.
This trip cemented my decision 6 years ago to be a teacher. I get to learn and teach every day with my job. It is like show and tell in kindergarten, only on a wider scale. Sharing knowledge back and forth between humans is so rewarding.
Snorkeling Rocks!
I just love it. Every time I do it, it confirms that I love it!
What have you learned?
Please comment.
Kate
No comments:
Post a Comment