Friday, July 17, 2009

Bula!

We made it safe and sound to Fiji. The plane ride from LAX to Fiji was both long and bumpy. I heard rumors that we were delayed because there was a storm we were trying to wait out.
On the plane i learned that "bula" means hello and that "Vinaka" means thank you. Everyone here says "bula" wherever you go.

Anyhow, we got here and went through customs. Then waited a LONG time for all of our baggage, exchanged some money and met out delegation manager, Charlene, a native Fijian.
We loaded a bus and went to the only eco-reserve. On the way we passed sugar cane fields and Charlene gave us some sugar cane to suck on. Wow, it was sweet but not too sweet. Once the reserve they try to keep certain species of birds and lizards from becoming extinct. I even held a snake, yuck. But that is what People to People is all about, trying new things.

Then we got back on the bus and headed to our hotel. "This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever been in" I over heard one of the delegates say. And it is...the lobby is open air straight through to the ocean. We ate lunch and then waited for our room keys.It is so humid, eventhought the temperature isn't that high.

I was just at the pool relaxing for an hour and the students are still out there, swimming and paddle boating. We will be having a buffet dinner and then going to bed early. We are all really tired although most of us slept a little on the plane.

Tomorrow we are off to some sand dunes. I'll be ending now because it costs $10 fijian dolars for a 1/2 hour.

Kate

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...