Friday, July 31, 2009

school in Sydney

Hello-
We had another day at a school, this time in the suburbs of Sydney. Instantly we were whisked to an assembly and I was told by one of the students that they have 4 houses, with house colors, sports and academic competitions between the houses, they wear uniforms and are VERY academic, and the principal made a speech about different colored hats, sound familiar? Yes, the school was an Anglican version of Harry Potter. I floated this idea to one of the student guides that was hosting us and he said that he often thinks of this.

The students went to classes, had lunch and then played some games...Cricket, Soccer, Rugby, Football and Basketball. I am told by the students that the wooped the Australian's in football.

We came back to the city and the students had time to walk from the hotel to the dinner location in groups of 4 or more. The walk took 25 min but they were given 2 hours so they could shop along the way. I went to the local market and bought a sweatshirt before I walked to the restaurant.

They say that it is winter here and it is cold, but it is more like our spring weather. To them it is freezing.

Tomorrow we are going to the blue mountains to the steepest railway in the world and then to an opal company where they are going to show us the process of making opal jewelry. For dinner we are going on a cruise of the harbor on a boat and the students have decided that they want to make it a more formal affair so they are putting on their Sunday best and dressed up.

These students are the best that I have ever traveled with!

Kate

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...