Today I went to the local "mall" with my host family to do a bit of shopping. I got some NZ candies including pineapple lumps and Chrunchies (like Violet Crumble) and a few more warm clothes at the local "the warehouse" which is like a small wall mart. My family has cooked the most wonderful and healthy meals for me at dinner, which is so nice when you are traveling all this way. Yesterday after we arrived on our way to Ngatea (the place where we are having our homestays) we had lunch at McDonnalds, so it is so nice to have a family to give me good food. The dinners have been mostly roasted root vegtables and meat, all very fresh, local and full of flavor. Their roasted pumpkin is my favorite which I found out the family grew on their farm.
Yesterday the students went to school with their host familes and I went to the Art class and observed. They make very wonderful art, much more technically advanced than my students. THen after two periods, we went on a "field trip" to the mining communities around the area. We walked through a gold mine with glow worms and suspension bridges and then went to a gold mine where they are still actively mining.
Tonight we are going to have Lamb chops and other foods we got at the local farmers market this morning and our delegation manager, Tony, is invited since he has been at a hotel while we are in our homestays.
I miss you all but am having a fabulous time. New Zealand reminds me of Ireland and of Whatcom county, so I feel quite at home here.
Kate
No comments:
Post a Comment